6.17.2010

Bearing One Another

I've been reading through Galatians this week, which turns out to be perfect timing for my current state.  God is always so faithful to me as I read His word, bringing alive the familiar verses that have been underlined and scribbled around.  He has brought to light quite a few verses to me, but today the one Holy Spirit chose to point out was a little more difficult to chew.
Bear (endure, carry) one another's burdens and troublesome moral faults, and in this way fulfill and observe perfectly the law of Christ (the Messiah) and complete what is lacking [in your obedience to it]. Galatians 6:2 (amplified bible)
I have read this verse over and over my entire life and until the past year I thought it simply meant when people were in need or sad we were to support them.  I now realize it means much much more.  We are to bear, endure and carry one another's burdens and the things we don't like.  This is easier said than done to say the least.

Over the past two years some of the relationships I hold most dear have crumbled.  These are people who know who Jesus is, people who have experienced His love and grace and celebrated His victories.  Yet, circumstances shocked, choices were made, hurts accumulated and old defenses were shouted over the whisper of  Holy Spirit.  They ran and my heart waits, heavy and troubled.

I have experienced the spectrum of grief including anger.  My body has felt the physical ache of loss and the weight of wondering.  I could spread my hurt.  I could let it turn bitter and sour on my tongue.  I could let it fester in my mind and lead to general distrust.

There are other options.  I could obey God's word and bear it.  Endure it.  I could carry the shadows of people I once knew deeply and pray, covering with love.  I could ask for a heart like the One who has had to bear, endure and carry my choices, defenses and hiding all the way to the cross.  By grace, this I choose.
Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self.  Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.  Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle,  Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,  Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,  Puts up with anything, Trusts God always,  Always looks for the best,  Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.  1 Corinthians 13 (the message)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder. Thank you so much!