6.16.2009

Distractions (procrastination)

Yesterday I was driving and thinking about my busy life. The more I thought about it, the more I realized some of my busyness is really due to the fact that I let distractions in and then have to make up for it by cramming things into a few hours (I'm a textbook procrastinator). My biggest and most unworthy distractions are TV and Internet. My morning routine has become feeding and entertaining baby until nap time and then "checking my email" aka browsing my favorite blogs, facebook, etc for an hour. A WHOLE HOUR (or maybe two)! That's just ridiculous! My other downfall is TLC On Demand. I'll be going through my day knowing I have 25 different things to do and decide I need a "break" before I've even looked at the list (did I mention I tend to procrastinate?). I'll sit down and enjoy an episode (or 2 or 3) of a TLC show and then again, another hour or so GONE! I could be doing so many other things that would make me feel so much better about my day. To some, this may be appalling, to others you might think I'm over reacting. It doesn't really matter which side of the spectrum you're on, I just know that these little distractions aren't allowing my life during the day to be what I want it to be or, for that matter, what God wants my life to be. So, with that in mind, it's a new day and a fairly new week. My goal for this week is to eliminate silly distractions and enjoy a healthy productive life (aka stop procrastinating). I'd like to say something extreme like "I'm not going to watch a single minute of TV all summer", but I'm not quite there yet (maybe next week). What are your daily distractions (procrastination tools)?

1 comment:

Stephanie Roscoe-AFN Ministries said...

maybe we should join procrastinators anonymous together.