11.09.2009

Holy Spirit Spectacles



Over the past year I have become more and more agitated with situations in which people (myself included) just don't see what God has done for them, wants to do for them, who He is or His love.  It's frustrating to watch people (and, again, myself) struggle under a lack of understanding God's grace, favor, and freedom.  It's even more frustrating when this blindness leads them (or myself) into a snowballing slew of poor choices or mentalities.

While I was reading my daily life journal  this morning a verse that has spoken to me in the past about this jumped out at me.  1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have not received the spirit that belongs to the world, but the Holy Spirit Who is from God, given to us that we might realize and comprehend and appreciate the gifts of divine favor and blessing so freely and lavishly bestowed on us by God."

If you read all of 1 Corinthians 2 you will realize there is NO WAY we can understand even a hint of God without the help of the Holy Spirit (read 1 Cor. 2:16).  We cannot even see the good things (let alone the deep things) of God without getting our vision corrected by the Holy Spirit.  It is the Holy Spirit that helps us "get it", He is the one that gives us spiritual spectacles to see God's hand in our lives.

There is a girl in our youth ministry that has worn glasses since she was a baby.  They have become so much a part of who she is that she even sleeps with her glasses on.  After a slumber party I asked her why she slept with them on and her reply was, "So I can see as soon as I wake up."  I then asked her if they were uncomfortable and she simply said, "No, they've always been there, it's just normal to me."

My heart's cry is that I would be connected to the Holy Spirit like this girl is to her glasses.  I want to be so  tuned in to the Spirit of God within me that I can "see" as soon as I wake up.  I don't want to waste even  second looking through my near-sighted nature.  I want to be familiar with the Holy Spirit to the point that I cannot live any other way, that hearing His voice and receiving His revelation is known as normal rather than a "extra good prayer time."

So, this morning I submit to the Holy Spirit.  I pray for His voice to be heard before my own.  I am drawn to worship Him as I put on my spiritual spectacles and see the goodness and grace of God.  I want to please and honor Him with all I am.  Oh that we all could see as He does!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

Amen to that Jenn.

Elyse said...

I want that too! Its so crazy to know that He is INSIDE of us, and yet we ignore or are blind to Him so much of the time! It really upsets me!!! I am going to go check out those verses. Thanks girl!